Purpose: This student organization will adhere to and enhance the nationally defined objectives of the SNHS, which are to:
- Encourage and recognize scientific and intellectual thought
- Advance the students' knowledge of classical and modern science
- Communicate with the scientific community
- Aid the civic community with its comprehension of science
- Encourage students to participate in community service and, in turn, encourage a dedication to the pursuit of scientific knowledge that benefits all mankind.
- Members must be currently in their junior or senior year at MRHS.
- Members must be enrolled in at least one (1) honors or GT level science class during or prior to 11th grade.
- Members must continue their science coursework at the upper level (GT or AP) in their 12th grade year. Certificate of Merit courses (e.g., Anatomy & Physiology, Forensic Science, Marine Science, Physics) will count as upper level courses.
- Members must maintain a 3.5 GPA across all science courses.
- Members must have and maintain a 3.4 GPA (final GPA from the 2010-2011 school year).
Projects: Suggestions for projects have included hosting the MRHS Science Fair, helping students prepare for the Mount View MS Science Fair, inviting speakers from various research institutions, and a fundraising or community project that will be designed to assist science instruction in a low-performing elementary school. Further, students may seek other opportunities throughout the school year in order to fulfill requirement expectations.
Day: 2nd Thursday